James Bowman Remembers Hogwood

JAMES BOWMAN Countertenor
Sutherland, Bowman, Hogwood, 1985
Bowman at the 1985 recording session for Athalia between Joan Sutherland and Hogwood


I first met Christopher Hogwood in 1967, when David Munrow formed his Early Music Consort. He always remained a strong influence on my development as a singer, and I can sincerely say that I learnt all I know about Baroque performance from him. I shall always be grateful to Chris for his help and support when I went through a series of vocal problems in the late 70’s, shortly after Munrow's death. He was always positive about the eventual outcome, and indeed welcomed me back to record with him in several memorable Handel projects, the most notable being the recording of Orlando
Chris remained constant in his views on interpretation and actual performance, and I always admired and respected him for it.


Source Ref  http://www.theartsdesk.com/classical-music/remembering-christopher-hogwood-1941-2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Performance Practice of David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London : Medieval Music in the 1960s and 1970s

Overview of the Munrow Archive

Welcome to the Early Music Legend....